Thursday, June 28, 2007

For starters

I've been thinking about starting this for a long time - and what got me going was that I want to get some business cards made so I wanted to get my url for the cards. Whatever works. I've been painting for quite a long time, and drawing for my whole life. Now I've decided I need to get serious about marketing. I'll be having my work photographed in a couple of weeks. A big step for me. I'll be working on the blog little by little. I realize it's a bit bare-bones for the moment, cause I clicked the wrong key and seem to have chosen this bleakish format, but I'll tart it up as I go along.

So the main topics are painting and marketing. The two things are so different they're practically mutually exclusive. I'd so much rather paint, or even procrastinate about painting, than try to market my stuff - but I've gotta believe I can do it.

I do watercolor, pastels, and collages. Watercolor is fantastic, cause it's so hard to control, and sometimes you lose control and it's horrible and sometimes you lose control and it's better than you could have imagined. Pastels are the opposite: you lay it on and it stays exactly where you put it, and if it's right it's cause you had the control you needed and did it right. I do the collages because they're FUN. I started them because I had so many reject paintings lying around I thought I'd try to use them somehow. Then I found stuff everywhere I could slap down. One of my best "suppliers" is my eight-year-old granddaughter, Ellie, who's a great artist in her own right, and whose work I've borrowed for collages.

2 comments:

agogerty said...

I can't wait to see your art so get it on here!!!!

Bill and Judy Ford said...

Ditto - even some digital pics would be good.
So, if you just set out to create the largest collection of art in the world you will eventually need a place to store it all - that's what galleries are for!
Off you go!